How To Prepare Groundnut Soup
Welcome to our blog, In todays topic, we will be talking about how to prepare groundnut soup. We will give you a step by step guide on how to prepare groundnut soup. kindly stay with us.
One of Ghana’s most well-known national cuisines is groundnut soup, also known as nkate nkwan. It is a peanut made soup. It is frequently referred to as groundnut, peanut, or peanut butter soup. In West Africa, there are many different kinds of soups and stews made with peanuts. To make this version, simply add peanut sauce to a foundation of onion, tomato, and pepper soup. It frequently goes with omo tuo but also pairs well with other types of fufu. In Ghana, peanut butter soup is said to have originated with the Hausa people, though it is popular all around the country.
2 medium onions or 1 large one
3 very ripe large tomatoes
A whole chicken, chopped to pieces (we like “boiler” chicken, free range, “koko ya Setswana”)
Garden eggs (optional)
12 okra (with ends trimmed)
1 scotch bonnet pepper or kpakpo shito
2 bay leaves
1 rosemary sprig
1.75l chicken stock
4 tbsp peanut butter
Water to mix with the peanut butter
- Place the chicken pieces into a pot. Cut off the top and bottom edges of the onions and add them whole into the pot.
- After removing the core tips, place the tomatoes whole into the saucepan. Put the ginger and garlic in the saucepan. They can be processed after being introduced whole or grated.
- Add the bay leaves, kpakpo shito and chicken stock then bring to the boil and simmer until tender.
- While the soup is cooking, make the peanut sauce by combining the peanut butter with 1/2 cup of water in a pot. Before adding the remaining ingredients, this will enable the peanut butter and water to mix well.
- Place the peanut sauce on a high heat and add the remaining water. Simmer for about 20 minutes until peanut oil rises to the surface.
- Remove the onions and tomatoes from the broth once they are soft, then add them to a blender. You can now add some of the kpakpo shito if you want the soup to be very spicy. After blending them, add them back to the soup and stir. 5 minutes of simmering.
- Pour the peanut sauce into the soup and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cut off the head and tail of the okra and boil them briefly before adding them to the soup. This is used as a garnish.
- Check for seasoning and add salt and chili powder if desired. The dish is now ready to be served alongside omo tuo, banku or fufu.
Thank you for reading our todays post on how to prepare groundnut soup. We hope our todays article on how to prepare groundnut soup has been helpful.